Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tuesday's Treasure

This week Melody has really brought back memories for me with her Tuesday's Treasure.  My mother and my grandmother both had the beautiful old singer machines.  When my mother upgraded her machine and after my grandmother died, three of these machines were stored at my grandmother's house.  Not sure where the third machine came from.  I always thought that when I had somewhere permanent to live I would take them with me - no one else in the family were in any way interested in them.  However, while I was living in Canberra, someone came to our farm looking to acquire "old things" and offered my father $30 for the three machines and some other bits and pieces.  My father (who is not a sewer or interested in antiques) couldn't believe anyone would be so silly to offer this amount of money for rubbish so he sold it.  Needless to say I was very unimpressed, but that's life!!  I finally found the base of a singer sewing machine that had been through a fire and was left out in the paddock to rust away.  The heat of the fire had broken the metal into several pieces.  I hunted through the grass and found them all and dragged it home.  Very early in our marriage DH took all these pieces to a friend of his who could weld this type of metal (he advised DH that he was crazy and the dump was the best place for these pieces of rust.  DH explained that if he did that his life could be over!)  DH then restored the base for me.  So, it's not the beautiful sewing machine Melody has displayed on her blog, but it is one that has lots of memories for me.

  Thanks Melody for reminding me of these memories - and even though the demise of these machines was frustrating, my main memories are sitting with my mother and my grandmother as they sewed and playing with little pieces of fabric - clearly where my love of sewing originated so overall the memories are still very happy ones.

Thanks for hosting, Melody.

Cheers


4 comments:

Kaye R said...

I know exactly how you feel. My Mum had a singer treadle and it was in perfect condition. She bought a knew electric and sent the machine to the tip. I was seven years old - I kicked and screamed because it was so beautiful and I wanted to keep it. Even at that age I loved the old singers. I have yet to find one.

Narelle said...

The frame makes a fantastic base for your display table.

Fiona said...

How wonderful that you restored it... it looks fantastic....
Hugz

Melody said...

Ah but yours has a story behing it so it makes it much more interesting.