Wednesday, January 28, 2015

I'm sitting and waiting

Today started early - leaving home at 7.15 to take number two son to the second day of his TAFE course. And then I met up with friends from our sewing group to see two great exhibitions based on textiles.

We live about 1 and a half hours from the centre of our capital city, Brisbane. Not sure what happened today, but the trip took over 2 and a half hours. My thought throughout the journey is that I don't have to do this every day and for this I'm very thankful.

The first exhibition we saw was "Undressed:  350 years of underwear in Fashion". It was amazing. The concepts, the fabric, the sewing.  And I must admit that I'm happy to be living with current underwear trends. Some of the earlier ones didn't look the most comfortable and not at all suited to our Australian climate. www.qm.qld.gov.au/undressed



The second exhibition we saw was "Future Beauty:Uplate". Over 100 garments from the collection of the Kyoto Costume Institute - ranging from the classic and elegant to the outrageous.   So the blurb said.  From my point of view most probably fitted into the outrageous side, but it was amazing to look at what they had sewed, how they had sewed it and what they had used for both the sewing and embellishments.  Www.qagoma.qld.gov.au/uplate.


It's the first day of school for all mine today. So, there will be lots of stories to tell when I get home this afternoon.  I feel like I've missed the holidays. It was such a busy one. We had competitive swimming until close to Christmas and then my eldest son's 21st birthday party. We managed 4 days away which coincided with some of the hottest of the holidays. I found that a bit draining. But it was good to get away and relax a little.

We are heading into a busy term. Lots of swimming, two family members are in the comedy "Gallipoli Bill" and I'm making costumes for it. It's 100 years since Australian and New Zealand Soldiers landed at Gallipoli in Turkey to fight for the British army in World War 1. We lost many thousands of our young men during that battle and the ones that ensued in France. It's regarded as a defining moment in our nation's history.

I've finished the stitchery for the Stitch-a-long that Chooky Blue is hosting. I'm waiting for my first instalment of the pattern to arrive from Hatched and Patched. It's going to be a beautiful quilt and if I keep up with the instalments it will be finished by the end of the year.

One of my to dos at the moment is to tidy my sewing room. It's a job I've procrastinated on for the entire holidays. I just have to get in and do it. Then I can start creating in there again. http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/undressed

Almost time to pick my son up.

Cheers for now

Marg




No comments: